Whenever my in laws come to visit us in Miami I always try to surprise them with delicious desserts. This time I made a Chocolate Cake with Ganache filling and decorated it with buttercream flowers.
I have seen Korean buttercream flowers on Pinterest and they look beautiful. I had to go buy new piping tips to make the flowers. This is my first try and they did not turn out perfect but I just have to keep practicing!
The cake, however, turned out great. It’s very rich and moist. This cake is definitely perfect for the chocolate lovers!
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1-1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
4 large eggs, room temperature
3 cups sugar
3/4 vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup baking cocoa
2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
16 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
2 cups heavy cream
5 teaspoons light corn syrup
1. FOR THE CAKE: Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower -middle positions and heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease three 8-inch round pans, line with parchment paper, grease parchment, and flour pans.
2. Place chocolate in a small bowl. Pour hot coffee over chocolate, whisk until smooth. Cool slightly.
3. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in medium bowl. Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, beat egg on medium-high speed until lemon-colored, about 1 minute. Slowly add sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Decrease speed to medium, add oil, vanilla extract and chocolate mixture, beat until well blended, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, mixing until incorporated after each addition (about 15 seconds), and scraping down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to medium-low and mix until batter is throughly combined, about 15 seconds. Give batter final stir by hand.
4. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and shake pans gently. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out with few crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Let cake cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, discarding parchment, and let cool completely on rack, about 2 hours.
5. FOR GANACHE: Place chocolate in a heatproof large bowl. Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Pour over chocolate, let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Whisk gently until smooth. Cool to room temperature, wrap with plastic and refrigerate until thicken, about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. ( This ganache can be filled and frosted this cake)
6. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/3 cup ganache. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layers. Spread remaining ganache over top and sides of cake.
Recipe from Taste of Home