I love these cookies since the first time I made them. I have been busy baking so many things but today I was thinking of them and had to make them. I love the crunchiness of pecans, the softness of the cookies, the chewy caramel, and the sweetness of chocolate drizzled on top. Everything is combined so perfectly. Just one bite and you will fall in love with these cookies. Everyone who try them never get enough. These cookies can be made for your friends and family on a special day like Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Make: 23 cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, separated, room temperature
2 tablespoons 2% milk, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup pecans
14 baking caramel
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening
1. FOR COOKIES: Adjust oven racks to middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Place pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes. Cool completely and chopped finely. Place in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
4. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla, beat to combine, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture, beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.
5. Transfer the dough to medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until easy to handle for 1 hour.
6. In small bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Dip balls into egg white and coat with nuts, pressing to adhere.Place 2 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle or the lid of a small bottle, make a 3/8-to 1/2-inch indentation in the center of each ball.
7. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pans half way through. Let cookies cool completely in pan on wire rack.
8. FOR FILLING: In a small saucepan, melt caramel and heavy cream over low heat; stir until smooth. Using about 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture, fill each cookie.
In a small bowl, melt chocolate and shortening in microwave for 30 second and stir. Repeat until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Let stand until set. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe from Taste of Home