My son’s teacher told me that she likes Red Velvet Cake. I have made cupcakes from Cupcakes Jemma many times and they have all been great. This time I tried her red velvet recipe. They turned out perfect. I love how the cake is so soft and light (I adjusted the frosting a little bit to suite my taste). I took them to Reily’s school. All the teachers loved them.
125 gram self rising flour
15 gram cocoa powder
250 gram superfine (caster) sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
270 gram unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 tablespoon buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon red coloring paste
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
375 gram (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
225 gram (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
437 (3 1/2 cups) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. FOR CUPCAKES: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 340 degrees. Line two 12 muffin pan with paper baking cups. Set aside.
2. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, butter and eggs, beat on low to combine, about 20 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high, beating until incorporated, about 1 minute. Scraping down bowl.
3. Add red coloring and vanilla extract into buttermilk. Stir to combine. Pour into the batter and beat on medium speed, about 20 seconds.
4. Add baking soda into cider vinegar, shake to combine, pour into the batter and beat on medium speed, about 10 seconds and give a final stir by hand.
5. Spoon the batter into prepared cups, filling each one 2/3 full.
6. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking. Let cake cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on rack.
7. FOR THE ROSE FROSTING: Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract on medium speed until combined, about 3 minutes. Decrease speed to low, slowly add confectioners’ sugar and increase to medium speed, beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
8. Spoon the frosting into pastry bag with a round tip and pipe over the cupcakes.